Prestonpans, Preston Cross
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Prestonpans
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT37SE 8 39156 74045
(NT 3915 7405) Cross (NR)
OS 6" map, (1966)
Preston Cross still stands where and as it was built, in the early 17th century. It consists of a circular structure, 14' in diameter and 12' high, with niches and a parapet, within which rises a tall oval sectioned shaft surmounted by a unicorn bearing a cartouche, on which is carved a lion. It was probably erected by the Hamiltons of Preston after they obtained the right to hold a fair in 1617.
There is an early 17th century fragment of a circular sandstone shaft, 2'2" in diameter and 3' high, built of two stones, some 30' E of the cross. Its workmanship and design are crude; the moulded circular base, 6 1/2" thick, lies beside the shaft.
The mouldings resemble those on the base of the cross and are probably derived therefrom.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1919; V G Childe and W D Simpson 1954.
The cross is as described. The fragment of the shaft could not be found. The name 'Preston Cross' is in general use.
Visited by OS (RD) 4 January 1972.