Dovecot, Tower House
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Tranent
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT37SE 25 3777 7098
(NT 3777 7096) Falside Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 1:10000 map (1973)
Though long ruinous, Falside Castle survives in its main features. Formerly enclosed within a courtyard, it originally consisted of a tall, fairly plain, 15th century tower, containing four main storeys, of which the topmost was vaulted. After the Battle of Pinkie (1547), in which it suffered greatly, it was enlarged by the addition of a 16th century addition to the S, of similar size and height, but L-shaped. This wing has a stair-turret in the re-entrant angle and typical corner turrets corbelled out at the two southern angles.
Remains of later outbuildings abut the courtyard wall. The ruin of an L-shaped, 17th century house may be seen at the SE angle.
Tranter, calling this 'Fawside Castle' though all other authorities give the OS spelling, states that it was under threat of demolition, but a committee has been set up to preserve it.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1920; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; N Tranter 1970
Now restored and occupied.
N Tranter 1990