Edinburgh, Craigcrook Road, Craigcrook Castle


Site Name Edinburgh, Craigcrook Road, Craigcrook Castle

Classification Castle

Canmore ID 52569

Site Number NT27SW 1

NGR NT 21068 74272

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 1.00 21068 74272

NT27SW 1.01 NT 210 742 Garden

NT27SW 1.02 NT 21138 74359 Lodge

NT27SW 1.03 NT 21135 74254 Outhouses/Fernery

(NT 2107 7426) Craigcrook Castle (NR) While there is almost certainly older work incorporated, the main part of Craigcrook Castle seems to date from the early 17th century, with later additions. Excluding the modern extensions to N and E, it consists of a main block, 60' x 20', the towers attached, 3 storeys high. The windows have been enlarged. Internally, the ground floor was vaulted, as is the upper floor of the round tower. This amount of vaulting suggests a date of construction earlier that the first half of the 17th century, so it is probably that the extensive rebuilding of that time was superimposed on an earlier fortalice.

A 17th century wall still encloses the garden, the pediment of the archway is dated 1626

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; N Tranter 1962-70.

No change to previous information.

Visited by OS (BS) 2 December 1975.

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 1.00 21068 74272

OWNER: Craigcrook Mortification, 19 Melville Street, Edinburgh.

ARCHITECTS: William Playfair - additions 1835

Thomas Leadbetter - billiard room & bedrooms 1891

David Roberts & John Jackson, painted library in imitation of dark oak to match some carvings that he (Lord Jeffrey) had purchased from Stirling Castle. Spring 1818.


NAT. LIB. Sketches of Scottish Scenery, p.1 -2 drawings

PUB. LIT. Scots Magazine, April 1810 -1 engraving

N.M.R. (London) Bedford Lemere Register, 7 27730 -38 negatives

/3 11251 /6 -negatives

11261 /2 -negatives

N.L.S. MS 7348 Note on decoration (presumbably Playfair wing) by D.R. Hat. Work directed by Lord Jeffrey's wife.


E.U.L. Playfair College 1835 - 55 sheets.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions