Edinburgh, Blackfriars' Dominican Monastery
Friary (medieval), Grave Slab (medieval)
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
(Name: NT 2615 7348) Site of (NAT) Friary (NR) (Dominican - Founded AD. 1230)
OS 25"map, (1968)
The Blackfriars' (Dominican) Friary occupied a large area lying between the Cowgate and Drummond Street, W of the Pleasance and E of the end of Infirmary Street. The ground was given by Alexander II in 1230. The buildings were partly destroyed in 1528 and 1544, but were later repaired, to be finally destroyed by Reformers in 1559. The lands and possessions of this house were given to the magistrates and Town Council of Edinburgh in 1566-7.
RCAHMS 1951; D E Easson 1957.
No trace remains of this friary. Its site is now built up.
Visited by OS (J L D) 26 December 1953.
REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE
4 pages of text giving history and details of site of Blackfriars Monastery -filed under "THE HIGH SCHOOL OF EDINBURGH, THE ORIGINAL SCHOOLS AND THE SCHOOL OF 1578"