Edinburgh, 245-329 High Street, City Chambers
Town Hall (18th Century)
Site Name Edinburgh, 245-329 High Street, City Chambers
Classification Town Hall (18th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Royal Exchange; Corporation Museum
Canmore ID 52307
Site Number NT27SE 285
NGR NT 25763 73668
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
John & Robert Adam - executed with detail alterations by John Fergus 1753-1761.
Thomas Brown 1839 - alterations to piazza - not executed (as Superintendent of Works)
David Cousin - alterations
Robert Morham - alterations
MacGibbon & Ross - alterations to Parish Council Chambers
W H Hole - decoration of New banqueting hall 1903
National Archives of Scotland:
Address to Suscribers.
That by removing the front of the buildings, to be raised on the N. side of the Street at the Cross a convenient space backward a handsome Exchange or public Forum ... adorned with a covered walk n N. side of area. Also that a building may be erected on the ruins to the S. of the Parlt Close, where the Borough Room & Council Chamber formerly stood to contain a Great Room for The Convention of the Royal Boroughs of Scotland and their annual Committee, a convenient Council Chamber for the use of the Magistrates for the daily dispatch of public business. A dwellinghouse for the Lord Provost during his office, a robing room for the Lords of Session, a handsome library for the Faculty of Advocates, and rooming be made for lodging the public records of the Nation and to provide convenient office for accomodating The Principal Clerks of Session ..... Easy access be made to the High St from S. & N. side of the and the North loch made an ornament in place of a public nuisance.
REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE
1 page of text giving details from Town Council Minutes regarding the acquisition and conversion of the Royal Exchange to the City Chambers - filed under "CITY CHAMBERS";
2 pages of text with details of a volume held in City Architect's Office giving details of the building of the Royal Exchange/City Chambers - filed under "ROYAL EXCHANGE";
4 pages of text with details of newspaper articles regarding the erection, siting and restoration of a Statue of George III in the Old Council Chamber - filed under "ROYAL EXCHANGE, STATUE, OLD COUNCIL CHAMBERS"
NMRS Photographic survey of plans held by Edinburgh City Architect's Department including surveys and designs for alterations by the City Architect's, David Cousin and robert Morham 1854-1895.
Copied 1973 Inventory 49
Edinburgh Room, Central Library, Edinburgh
Edinburgh. Royal Exchange. Repairs and alterations
Advertisement for tenders, 1810
(Edinburgh Evening Courant, Aug 30, 1810)
NT27SE 285.01 25771 73631 War Memorial (Great War Stone)
NT27SE 285.02 25768 73647 Statue (Alexander and Bucephalus)
See also NT27SE 284 Edinburgh, Mary King's Close.
See also EDINBURGH, High Street, Market Cross for photographs.
The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012. As a temporary measure, PMSA data on any site with multiple sculptures, such as the Scott Monument, can be found under Collection Items, then Digital Files; click on the PDF icon.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.
Photographic Survey (29 April 2009)
Photographed by the Threatened Buildings survey prior to re-decoration of the main chamber.
RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.