Peebles, High Street, Chambers Institution
House (19th Century), Institute, Museum
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Peebles
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Tweeddale
- Former County Peebles-shire
NT24SE 7 25259 40443.
(NT 2526 4044) Dean's House (NR)
OS 25" map (1856)
The Chambers Institution was formerly in the possession of the Dukes of Queensberry, after whom it came to be known as the Queensberry Lodging; it was also called Dean's House, being thus described on Armstrong's plan of 1775. After being acquired by William Chambers in 1857, the building was completely remodelled for its present use as a library, art gallery and museum; further alterations were made c.1910. The structure now bears few visible traces of antiquity, though the substantial wall thicknesses and part-vaulted basement of the central portion indicate that some old work at least has survived. It is probably of 16th or 17th century origin.
RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958
The building is as described. Externally it is not of architectural importance. A window lintel bears the date '1668'.
Visited by OS (SFS) 16 September 1974