Dalmeny, Main Street, Dalmeny Parish Church
Site Name Dalmeny, Main Street, Dalmeny Parish Church
Alternative Name(s) Dalmeny Kirk; St Cuthbert's Church
Canmore ID 50567
Site Number NT17NW 29
NGR NT 14448 77503
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Dalmeny
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County West Lothian
NT17NW 29.00 14448 77503
(NT 1444 7750) Church (NAT) (11th Century Supposed)
OS 6" map (1856)
NT17NW 29.01 1444 7750 Cist
NT17NW 29.02 14459 77480 Churchyard
Dalmeny parish church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, is the most complete Romanesque church in Scotland; it is still in ecclesiastical use. Built in the 12th century, it originally consisted on a W tower, now demolished, an aisleless nave, chancel and apse. An aisle was added in 1671. There is a fine Norman doorway projecting on the S. The church was restored in 1937, a new W tower being added at that date.
In the church was an altar dedicated to St Bridget; another was dedicated to St Adamnan and St Columba.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1927; SDD List 1964; A Reid 1915; C A R Radford 1965; H Scott 1915; H Scott 1950.
Dalmeny Kirk (NAT)
OS 6" map (1968)
This church, still in use, is generally as described.
Visited by OS (BS) 15 August 1974
Inglis Photograph Collection
Exterior: 2 general views (3 prints)
the Rosebery Aisle
2 details of doorway (3 prints)
Interior: 2 views towards East (4 prints)
view towards West showing building work ? tower (between 1912 - 1931)
W Schomberg Scott Collection:
View of the new font and detail of carving on the chancel arch (4 copies of this, 1 of them in separate bound folder)
Scc. no. 1997/39
Edinburgh Architectural Association - Sketch Book - 1880-1802 - 6 plates - unlocated at time of upgrade.
Thomas Brown colour sketches, Volume 1, Nos 6 and 59 (Adv. MSS. 34.8) - 2 sketches of church and porch - unlocated at time of upgrade.
Moxon and Carfrae /CBooks. No. 300. 1816 - details of painting work - unlocated at time of upgrade.
(Undated) information in NMRS.