Lennox Tower

Tower House

Site Name Lennox Tower

Classification Tower House

Canmore ID 50270

Site Number NT16NE 14

NGR NT 17370 67125

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Currie
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

17370 67125

(NT 1737 6711) Lennox Tower (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Lennox Tower dates from the 15th century. It occupies a promontory, the S end of which has been cut off by a ditch, now 6' deep, which may have had in inner rampart. The site was apparently surrounded by a barmkin, and the conformation of the ground suggests that other buildings stood between the tower and the ditch, while there are vestiges of a cross wall on the N , between the tower and the river bank. The N and W walls of the tower are 25' high, but the S and E walls are only 6' high; the ruin, in poor condition now forms a rock garden.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1920.

Lennox Tower (name confirmed) is generally as described.

Visited by OS (JTT) 26 August 1965

Apart from the tower and ditch, there is no trace of any other features. The site is no longer a rock garden.

Surveyed at 1:1250.

Visited by OS (JTT) 26 August 1965

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS) 23 December 1975.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions