Alloa Harbour

Harbour

Site Name Alloa Harbour

Classification Harbour

Alternative Name(s) Alloa Docks

Canmore ID 47217

Site Number NS89SE 54

NGR NS 88296 92206

NGR Description Centred NS 88296 92206

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SE 54.00 centred 88296 92206

NS89SE 54.01 8845 9200 Dock Warehouse

A port is first mentioned in Alloa in 1502; the area of the quayside at the Pow has no structures which appear to be earlier than the mid-19th century, apart from the stone quay, which may be of 18th-century date. RCAHMS 1978, visited August 1977; A Graham 1971; A T Simpson and S Stevenson 1983

The harbour is situated on the banks of the Forth at the southern end of The Walk, immediately south of Alloa Glassworks. The harbour is now disused and fenced of. It is difficult to ascertain the extent of the remains because of the restricted access.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24 February 1996.

Architecture Notes

NS89SE 54.00 centred on 88296 92206

NS89SE 54.01 8845 9200 Dock Warehouse

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Repairs and improvements to the harbour of Alloa, Memorandum.

Also repair and lighting of streets of Alloa and road for Sauchie coal.

1798 GD124/17/377

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions