Gallow Hill, Bridge Of Allan

Fort

Site Name Gallow Hill, Bridge Of Allan

Classification Fort

Alternative Name(s) Knock Hill

Canmore ID 45987

Site Number NS79NE 10

NGR NS 7825 9845

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Dunblane And Lecropt
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79NE 10 7825 9845.

(Centred NS 7825 9845) Camp (NR)

OS 6" map (1948)

A native fort. Ring of stones represents rampart round edge of knoll. Entrance on south is well-preserved. Many loose stones, debris of huts, inside. Hill precipitous on NE.

OS 6" map annotated by O G S Crawford, 5 June 1937.

An isolated rocky hill with the remains of a strong wall, mainly turf-covered, round its upper edge. There is an irregular mound in the centre, broken on the east, and which is separated from the rampart by a broad ditch, possibly the result of quarrying. The interior is uneven, and so much covered with the undergrowth, that no definite trace of hut circles could be found, although many small stones lie scattered on the surface.

Visited by OS (JLD) 27 May 1953

An upper quernstone of Roman type, dated to 1st century AD, was found recently on the top course of the wall (of the fort). The nearest known Roman site is Hillside Camp (Perth 132 NE 1) 1 1/2 miles to the NW. The quernstone is now in the NMAS (Acc. No. BB. 127) donated by Miss Stirling.

M Stirling 1960; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1961

Generally as described above. The fort measures about 60.0 x 40.0m. It consists of a single stony rampart about 3.5m wide, and about 1.0m high internally. The rampart is best preserved on the south half of the fort. On the north it is indefinite and obscured. The entrance is in the SE segment where a definite hollow-way leads up the slopes of the knoll.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 January 1964

NS 782 984 This fort measures 48m by 32m within the remains of a single rampart 4.5m thick and 1m high.

RCAHMS 1979, visited October 1978.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions