Glasgow, London Road
Site Name Glasgow, London Road
Alternative Name(s) London Street; Trades' Land; Clyde 5
Canmore ID 44298
Site Number NS56SE 37
NGR NS 596 648
NGR Description NS c. 596 648
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Glasgow, City Of
- Parish Glasgow (city Of Glasgow)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District City Of Glasgow
- Former County Lanarkshire
c. 596 648.
In 1825, a canoe was found, scarcely a hundred yards from that noted on (q.v.) when digging a sewer at London Street (later renamed London Road). Measuring about 18' in length, it was built of several pieces of oak, though without ribs. It lay nearly vertical, with the prow uppermost. It has been destroyed.
D Wilson 1863; J B 1856; J D Duncan 1882.
Findspot located to area NS 596 648 from description above.
Visited by OS (F D C) 19 September 1951.
In July 1852 a logboat was revealed during sewerage works in London Road (then named London Street) and 'near the site of the Trades' Land'. The area is situated at an altitude of about 30' (9m) OD in the upper river terraces of the Clyde.
Buchanan notes that the boat was embedded vertically, the prow being uppermost. Wilson states that it measured 18' (5.5m) in length and was 'built of several pieces of oak, though without ribs' but he is probably confusing this discovery with that of the probable composite vessel from Bankton ( ).
[Buchanan] 1848, 170, 171; Wilson 1851, 35-6; R J C Mowat 1996.