Glasgow, 316 Caledonia Road, Southern Necropolis

Cemetery (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 316 Caledonia Road, Southern Necropolis

Classification Cemetery (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Caledonian Street; Lawmoor Street

Canmore ID 44245

Site Number NS56SE 113

NGR NS 59399 63430

NGR Description Centred NS 59399 63430

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (city Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Southern Necropolis, 316 Caledonia Road, 1848, Charles Wilson

Massive castellated Norman arched gateway, tall stairturret to one side. Necropolis extended twice in ten years. Charles Wilson was himself buried here. Neat and trim but the back of the gatehouse is collapsing, from want of maintenance.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 113.00 59399 63430

NS56SE 113.01

NS56SE 113.02

Architect: Charles Wilson.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (12 October 2010)

Cemetery opened 1840, extended to east in 1846, given gate lodge in 1848 and extended to west in 1850. Containing series of high quality stone monuments, including those to Alexander Thomson and Charles Wilson. Divided into Western, Central and Eastern divisions. Boundary walls mostly ashlar, droved to street with ashlar coping. (Historic Scotland)

The Southern Necropolis replaced the old burial ground of the village of Gorbals, first established in 1770, where, by the late 1830s, all bought lairs were full and mass burial pits had had to be used during the cholera outbreak of 1832. At a public meeting in November 1839 it was proposed that the Southern Necropolis be established to "enable the working classses to become proprietors of burying places similar to those in the Necropolis, or Sighthill". By 1846 all the cheap lairs is the central section had been purchased and it was decided upon to buy more lairs, largely for cheap lairs. These too were quickly purchased and more land was purchased in later years. (Southern Necropolis Research)



MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions