Kingencleugh Castle

Castle, Tower House

Site Name Kingencleugh Castle

Classification Castle, Tower House

Canmore ID 43569

Site Number NS52NW 3

NGR NS 50351 25666

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Mauchline
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

50351 25666

(NS 5035 2566) Kingencleugh Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1967)

Kingencleugh Castle; From the extant remains, this seems to have been built more as a dwelling than for defence. John Knox is said to have visited it in 1556.

Name Book 1856

Hew Campbell of Kingancleuch (sic) is mentioned by Knox in 1544. Thereafter numerous references to the Campbells of Kingancleuch occur until the late 18th century.

J Paterson 1852

The remains are those of a four storey L-shaped residence of ashlar-ended rubble masonry. The remaining walls are 0.8m thick; the two lower floors have slit windows only. The NW wall, forming the end of the W arm of the 'L', stands to its full height of some 7.0m, and is surmounted by a crow-stepped gable. The lower part of a corbelled turret remains in the re-entrant angle, in the W arm of which is the entrance. The main ground floor apartment appears to have been barrel-vaulted. The house is in a fair defensive position,overlooking ground sloping to the S. It is almost exactly parallelled by Jerviston House ( - a 16th century laird's house).

Visited by OS (JFC) 16 June 1954

Kingencleugh Castle: name verified. As previously described.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JRL) 14 October 1981

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions