Kilmaronock Castle

Tower House

Site Name Kilmaronock Castle

Classification Tower House

Alternative Name(s) Mains Castle

Canmore ID 43404

Site Number NS48NE 1

NGR NS 45500 87716

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Kilmaronock (dumbarton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

45500 87716

(NS 4550 8770) Kilmaronock Castle (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, Dunbartonshire, 2nd ed., (1922)

The lands of Kilmaronock are mentioned in the 14th and 15th centuries.

J Irving 1879.

The castle belonged to the Earl of Glencairn in 1695.

W Camden 1789.

Kilmaronock Castle is an oblong tower, measuring 10.0 x 12.0m and four or five storeys high. The building is now a ruin but is in a fair state of preservation, and from the construction and design, probably dates from the late 15th - early 16th century.

Visited by OS (R D L) 21 January 1963.

NS 455 877 A tower of 15th to 16th century date.

RCAHMS 1978, visited December 1977

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions