Boturich Castle

Castle, Country House

Site Name Boturich Castle

Classification Castle, Country House

Alternative Name(s) Loch Lomond; Baturich

Canmore ID 42486

Site Number NS38SE 2

NGR NS 38755 84565

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Kilmaronock (dumbarton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SE 2.00 38755 84565

(NS 3877 8457) Boturich Castle on site of Boturich Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1923)

The present Boturich Castle was built about 1835 on part of the ruin of the old castle.

NSA 1845

Boturich Castle is said to have been built by the last Duchess of Albany and Countess of Lennox. (Isabelle, Countess of Lennox, died c.1460).

J G Smith 1896

The present mansion, known as Boturich Castle, was erected in 1830 and incorporates the remains of an earlier building. The house plans, made in 1830, show the extent of the old castle, the walls of which can still be traced to a height of c.20ft. A sketch, made before 1830 by a Miss Findlay (information from Mrs N Findlay, owner, Boturich Castle), shows a ruinous, L-shaped building with crow-stepped gables.

The remains of the pre-1830 Boturich Castle consist of walls 4ft thick on the present ground level. A barrel vault extends through the SE corner of the old building, and two slit windows, one now blocked , are visible. The exterior of the building has been harled, and apart from the slit window, shows no trace of antiquity.

Visited by OS (DS) 4 October 1956

Building still as described above.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 January 1963

Architecture Notes

NS38SE 2.00 38755 84565

From Architecture Catalogue Slip;

Architect: Porden? Robert Scott of Scott, Steven & Gail (ref Glasgow Herald Aubust 29th 1734/1834)

NMRS Reference

Plans : Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh garderners cottage

Bin 24, Bag 1 Auldjo Jamieson & Arnot 1929

Country Life, June 7th 1984

NMRS REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Letter from John Buchanan, Balloch Castle to John Cross Buchanan of Achentoshan concerning his intention of rebuilding the castle and expressing his wish to preserve part of Ardoch.

1830 GD47/764

The plans for Knockour Castle may be a design for additions to Boturich Castle. John Buchanan of Ardoch purchased in 1792 the estate of Knockour which included Boturich.

See NS38SE 2.01 for Knockour Castle

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions