Bute, Kilmory Castle

Lairds House (possible), Tower House (possible)

Site Name Bute, Kilmory Castle

Classification Lairds House (possible), Tower House (possible)

Alternative Name(s) Crowner's Castle, Meikle Kilmory

Canmore ID 40374

Site Number NS06SE 10

NGR NS 05072 61170

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish North Bute
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

05072 61170.

(NS 0507 6116) Kilmory Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

The only remains of Kilmory Castle consist of a small tower, about 8' high, attached to Meikle Kilmory farm buildings. The walls, apparently built without mortar, are of normal thickness. The faint track of a wall is discernible round by the edge of the trees and along the top of

rock. This castle, which consisted of several towers and buildings, was the residence of the Jamiesons of Kilmorie.

Name Book 1895; NSA 1845

Kilmory Castle (name verified) comprises the remains of three sides of a building which are 4.8m by 3.8m by 1.5m. Its crude unmortared walling, now up to 2.0m high, is 1.0m thick. On the W corner a round annexe, 1.5m diameter within walling 0.6m thick and 2.0m high, has been added. The interior is filled with debris so that its origin and nature cannot be ascertained.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 2 November 1976.

NS 0507 6117 A formal survey to stone-by-stone level of detail was undertaken during August 2007 of the surviving masonry of this fragmentary ruin. It consisted of two main periods of work, the first consisting of the SW corner of a substantially built structure with clay-bonded walls pointed in mortar; perhaps a small fortified tower or substantial laird's house. To this was appended a small sub-circular turret; the surviving lower story of this structure is detailed with three pistol loops of dressed stone. This level of the tower must have been accessed from the floor above. The building was heavily impacted by the construction of an improvement period farmsteading, Meikle Kilmory Farm. The

bedrock upon which the earlier building stood was substantially cut down.

Archive deposited with Bute Museum, RCAHMS, Mount Stuart archive.

Funder: Discover Bute Landscape Partnership Scheme; partners: HLF; SNH; The Mount Stuart Trust, Highlands and

Islands Enterprise, Argyll and Bute Council Buteshire Natural History Society; Community Council.

T Addyman, K Macfayden and F Boisserie, 2007.

Kilmory Castle is situated on the N side of Meikle Kilmory farmstead ( ) and it remains as previously described. The earliest depiction of the ruin is on an 18th century estate map (May 1780-82); it is also shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, Sheet CCIV).

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) 7 May 2009.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions