Cross Slab(s) (pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone(s) (pictish)
- Council Angus
- Parish Aberlemno
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Angus
- Former County Angus
NO55NW 6.1 5185 5663
The remains of Woodrae, or Woodwray Castle were cleared away in 1819 when two sculptured cross-slabs with symbols were recovered from the foundation. One of the slabs was lost by 1854, but the other was presented to Sir Walter Scott and is now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) presented by Lt Col Maxwell-Scott of Abbotsford in 1924 (Accession no. IB 202).
It is an upright cross-slab 5'9" high by 3'4" at base tapering to 2'9" at the top by 5" thick. The front bears the cross with interlacing and beasts. The back, divided into two panels, bears symbols, horsemen etc. (This slab is so like those from Aberlemno (NO 522 555) only 1/2 mile away, that it must have come from there.) It had apparently been used as a slab for the kitchen floor.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; A Jervise 1859; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1924.
The slab in the museum has metric dimensions of 1.75mx 1m x 0.12m. The front bears an interlaced cross surrounded by beasts; the back is divided into panels containing a galloping horseman, double-disc and step symbols, and the lower panels show horsemen, monsters and beasts.
Information from R Jones 1980.
Class II symbol stone. The cross face bears panels of interlace and fantastic figures, and the reverse, a mounted figure to the left of a double-disc above a step symbol.
A Mack 1997