Coffin (medieval), Priory
- Council Angus
- Parish Forfar
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Angus
- Former County Angus
NO45SE 10.00 48222 51600
NO45SE 10.01 c. 47 51 gold ring
For cup-marked stone adjacent to Prior House (NO 4810 5167), see NO45SE 51.
(NO 4822 5159) Remains of (NAT) Restenneth Priory (NR) (Augustinian) (NAT)
OS 6" map (1970)
Restenneth Priory, possibly occupying the site of a Celtic foundation is fully described and planned by Simpson (Easson 1957).
W D Simpson 1952; 1957.
A silver-gilt thumb ring from the Priory was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1877 (Accession no: NJ 42).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1878.
The remains of Restenneth Priory stand on a knoll, and are as described. The walls of the choir are c.5.0m high and contain fine lancet windows. The foundations of the nave and part of the chapter house vary from 0.3m - 1.2m in height. The plain cloister walls are c.4.0m high. The tower is entire. The whole is well preserved by the DoE.
Visited by OS (JLD) 14 August 1958.
Owner: H.M.Office of Works
Forfar Public Library - Measured survey by David E Adam 1912 - E & W elevations, section, detail of mouldings.
Uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton, Vol 2 No 17 - sketches and a ground plan