Dundee, Barrack Street, The Howff
Burial Ground, Cemetery
- Council Dundee, City Of
- Parish Dundee (dundee, City Of)
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District City Of Dundee
- Former County Angus
NO43SW 22 40152 30357.
(Centred NO 40152 30357) The Houff or Old Burial Ground (NAT)
OS 25" map, (1959)
In 1564 Queen Mary granted the burgh permission to use the former yard of the Franciscan Friary (NO43SW 11) as a public burial ground. In 1601, the early walls were replaced by a heavy wall which still exists on the W side.
A Jervise 1861; Kidd 1909.
NO 4008 3037 - NO 4009 3034 and NO 4011 3029 - NO 4012 3028. Two stretches of the 17th century wall remaining, all the other walls being modern. Many of the gravestones bear early and mid-17th century dates.
Visited by OS (J L D) 17 April 1958.
Dundee, Barrack Street, The Howff.
Architect: David Neave - wall & railings at Meadowside 1828
James Black - gateway to Barrack Street 1833
Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh. Measured survey. Gravestones.
Attic 2, Bin 32, Bag 1. c. 1943.