Dundee, Monifieth, St Regulus' Church And Burial-ground

Burial Ground, Church, Coin Hoard

Site Name Dundee, Monifieth, St Regulus' Church And Burial-ground

Classification Burial Ground, Church, Coin Hoard

Canmore ID 33407

Site Number NO43SE 25

NGR NO 49525 32355

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Monifieth (angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SE 25.00 49525 32355

(NO 4953 3235) Ch (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

NO43SE 25.01 NO 4953 3235 Pictish Cross-Slab

NO43SE 25.02 NO 4953 3235 Pictish Cross-Slab

NO43SE 25.03 NO 4953 3235 Pictish Cross-Slab

NO43SE 25.04 NO 4953 3235 Cross-Slab

NO43SE 25.05 NO 4953 3235 Cross-Shaft

The Church of Monifieth was dedicated to St Regulus and was given to Arbroath Abbey by Gilchrist, Earl of Angus, about 1207. About 1242, Maud, Countess of Angus, confirmed a grant of certain lands S of the church, which the "Keledei" held in the lifetime of her father. That is the only evidence preserved of a Culdee establishment having existed at Monifieth. In the NMAS are five Early Christian sculptured stones from this site - three Class II and two Class III.

The church, which was taken down in 1812, had existed from before the Reformation. When the present church was erected on the site, some remains of the Culdee edifice were discovered.

The pre-Reformation church was a rectangular building with a transept on the N near the E end. At the W end was a 36' high tower, in the W wall of which was the main door.

About 700 silver pennies of Alexander III, Edward I and II, were found on 15th September 1854 on the S side of the church at Monifieth. A small piece of pottery was found with them. Six coins are in the NMAS.

NSA 1845; A Jervise 1859; J Neish 1873; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; J Malcolm 1910; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1928.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions