Upper Largo, 9-20 Woodlaw Park, John Wood's Hospital
Site Name Upper Largo, 9-20 Woodlaw Park, John Wood's Hospital
Alternative Name(s) John Wood's Houses; St Andrews Road
Canmore ID 32829
Site Number NO40SW 6
NGR NO 42494 03575
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Fife
- Parish Largo
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO40SW 6.00 42494 03575
(NO 4249 0356) Hospital (NR)
OS 6" map (1938).
NO40SW 6.01 NO 42537 03563 Cottages
Largo - In 1659, a hospital for old men of the name of Wood was founded by a Mr John Wood.
Wood's Hospital, Kirkton, Largo. The original building was begun in 1665. By 1829 it had fallen into a bad state of repair, and in 1830 a new building was erected.
A S Cunningham 1913
The existing Wood's Hosptial, now an Old People's Home, is the one built around 1830 (Caretaker, Wood's Hospital). It is an unpretentious building of two storeys. A wall plaque in the entrance hall gives similar information to that by Statistical Account (OSA).
No trace of the original hospital is to be seen.
Visited by OS (EGC) 16 October 1962.