Bute, Rothesay, Kirk Dam
Dam (18th Century), Sluice(s) (19th Century)
- Council Argyll And Bute
- Parish Rothesay
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Argyll And Bute
- Former County Buteshire
NS06SE 429 08430 63732.
This dam, situated on the burn that runs from Loch Fad NNE to the sea and 200m W of St Mary’s Chapel (NS06SE 1), was built in the late 18th century to create a reservoir of water that would power the Rothesay Cotton Mills (NS06SE 5), established in 1779. It was raised in the early 19th century as part of the Robert Thom’s work to supplement the water supply to the mills (Maclagan 1996). Part of a ‘miln dam’ is depicted on May’s estate map of Craigberoch and Barone Park, surveyed in 1781. A dam and two sluices are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, Sheet CCIV).
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 18 May 2010.