Perth, Dominican Friary
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Perth
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
(NO 1178 2386) Supposed site of Black Friars Monastery (1231) (NR)
OS 1/500 map (1863)
The Dominican friary at Perth, dedicated to St Andrew, was founded in 1231 by Alexander II. It was destroyed in 1559 and its lands etc. were granted to the Burgh in 1569.
The site is variously given as at the corner of the present Kinnoul Street and Carpenter Street (NO 1168 2390), the east or south east side of Atholl Crescent (NO 117 239), on the site of the Middle Free Church (NO 1176 2388), adjoining the North Port (NO 1177 2374), the Blackfriars Wynd (NO 118 238) and (NO 1181 2385).
(Information from M E C Stewart to OS).
D E Easson 1957; R S Fittis 1885; Name Book 1860; R Milne 1893.
Excavations in 1983 located the remains of the Dominican Friary ( ) and part of the monastic cemetery ( ). Earlier than the friary was a large ditch of unknown function, perhaps Roman in date. A later ditch was probably part of a Joacobite earthwork. Remains of 19th century workshops were also found.
D Bowler, A Cox and C Smith 1995.
NO 117 238 (centre) Archaeological investigation was undertaken at the site adjacent to the Dominican Friary ( ). A watching brief in May 2002 and the excavation of an evaluation trench revealed three main archaeological phases. Phase 1 comprised medieval garden soil and two ditch features. Phase 2 comprised the remains of pre-modern buildings with pantile roofs, probably mainly industrial, a cobbled floor, and a well. Phase 3 revealed the below-ground brick-built tanks and massive pillar bases of the Pullars cleaning and dyeworks and subsequent refurbishment for Prestos supermarket.
From April to June 2004, during a watching brief on the groundworks for the new build, medieval garden soil was investigated but no further evidence of the medieval ditches was revealed.
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsor: Mansell Partnership Homes Ltd.
R Cachart 2004