Perth, Whitefriars Street, Carmelite Friary
Culvert, Friary (medieval), Human Remains(s) (medieval), Unidentified Pottery (medieval)
Site Name Perth, Whitefriars Street, Carmelite Friary
Alternative Name(s) Tulliburn; White Friars Monastery; Carmelite Friary Of Tullilum; Riggs Road
Canmore ID 28425
Site Number NO12SW 57
NGR NO 1082 2380
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Perth
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
NO12SW 57.00 1082 2380
(NO 1082 2380) White Friars Monastry (NR) (13th Century).
OS 1:500 map, Perth, 1863.
NO12SW 57.01 NO 109 239 Perth, Long Causeway, Fire Station Watching Brief
NO12SW 57.02 NO 109 236 Perth, Glasgow Road Watching Brief
The House of the Carmelite Friars at Tulliburn is said to have been founded in 1262 AD when Richard, bishop of Dunkeld, granted the friars a chapel here; this was the first settlement of Carmelites in Scotland. There is evidence that building, additions and repairs, was in progress at the monastry abaout 1514. It is said to have been destroyed in 1559 ad.
D E Easson 1957.
The site is pointed out on the south side of the Longcauseway in Dovecot Land. In the garden ground attached to some of the houses human bones are frequently dug up. There is here a small dwelling house which has been constructed in the memory of some very aged persons, of a small ruin and which is traditionally stated to have been the ruins of the Church of the Monastary. The lower part of the walls of this house appear plainly to have been part of a very old building as it is quite different from that of the upper part. The site is also referenced on a plan of Perth dated 1792, near the place referred to.
Name Book 1860; Information from 'Plan of Perth' 1792 by Mcfarlane.
(Location cited as NO 107 238). Perth, Whitefriars Street, Carmelite Friary. Excavations in advance of a factory development at Whitefriars Street, Perth revealed the foundations of the eastern end of the Carmelite Friary of Tullilum. The buildings excavated are part of the eastern end of the chancel of the Friary church and the eastern end of the E range. A total of 21 human burials were recovered, 11 of them inside the chancel. Two of the internal burials lay in perfectly preserved wooden coffins. Other finds included the official seal matrix of the Friary and a large group of painted window glass. The pottery from the site has been dated as 13th century thus suggesting that the excavation had revealed the remains of the original 13th century Carmelite foundation.
Sponsors: SDD (AM), MSC, SUAT.
D Hall 1982.
NO 108 237. Monitoring of contractor's foundation trenches in Whitefriars Street/Riggs Road to SW of the site of the Carmelite
friary revealed only the remains of 19th century occupation. This suggests that the southern limits of the friary precinct were located
in the Trust's excavations of 1982.
Sponsors: SUAT, HS
R Cachart 1991.
NO 1082 2380 In advance of the proposed demolition of Normands joiners workshop and construction of three new industrial units an archaeological evaluation was undertaken on the 26th and 27th June 2007. Five machine dug trenches were opened in the available open ground around the standing buildings. The demolished remains of the friary church and its ranges were located in three of the trenches and human remains were encountered in the other two.
Sponsors: Mr Semple
D Hall 2007.