Glasgow, 103 Polmadie Road, Polmadie Motive Power Depot
Site Name Glasgow, 103 Polmadie Road, Polmadie Motive Power Depot
Classification Engine Shed
Alternative Name(s) Polmadie Engine Shed; Polmadie Traction Depot
Canmore ID 277707
Site Number NS56SE 2157
NGR NS 59790 62680
NGR Description Centred NS 59790 62680
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Glasgow, City Of
- Parish Govan (city Of Glasgow)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District City Of Glasgow
- Former County Lanarkshire
NS56SE 2157 centred 59790 62680
Engine Shed [NAT]
OS 1:1250 map, 1967.
Polmadie Engine Shed, 103 Polmadie Rd., opened c. 1879 by the Caledonian Rly, and subsequently rebuilt and extended. A group of single-storey red brick buildings incorporating a large repair shop.
J R Hume 1974.
[Noted as 'Polmadie loco shed' on map of railways in central area of Glasgow, and as 'Polmadie depot' on map of current Glasgow railways].
C Johnston and J R Hume 1979.
Polmadie MPD derived from the Caledonian Rly, and had the successive shed codes 27A (1948-9) and 66A (1949-67). 65D).
(Sketch plan as at 1953: allocations listed as at 1950, 1959 and 1965).
P Bolger 1983.
Polmadie MPD (shed code 66A) was a brick-built 14-track dead-ended shed with 7 through roads. The 2-track repair bay is in use as a maintenace workship (1989).
P Smith 1990.
This depot was principally significant for providing traction for the Northern portion of the West Coast Main Line.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 December 2005.