Drummuir, Botriphnie Parish Church, Burial Ground

Burial Ground

Site Name Drummuir, Botriphnie Parish Church, Burial Ground

Classification Burial Ground

Canmore ID 272754

Site Number NJ34SE 53.1

NGR NJ 37546 44097

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Botriphnie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ34SE 53.01 37546 44097

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

N.B. This reference applies to NJ34SE 53.01 and collectively

Address: Botriphnie Parish Church and Burial Ground, Drummuir, Moray

Postcode: AB55 5JE

Status: In current use for burials (limited)

Size: 0.25 hectares, 0.61 acres

Polygon: Yes

TOIDs: 1000000173076523, 1000000173076535, 1000000173076536, 1000000173076537

Number of gravestones: approximately 225

Earliest gravestone: 1667 (1 stone possibly dated 1654)

Most recent gravestone: 2003

Description: Graveyard associated with a church. The present church occupies the N boundary of the site and at its W end there is an enclosure raised 1 to 2 metres above the rest of the graveyard level. it is railed and contains seven unassuming 20th Century stones of the Gordon-Duff family. A broad path skirts the church in a straight line from the main E entry gate to the private Gordon-Duff entry gate at the W end. The main features within the burial are the roofless remains of the last church (built 1677, dedicated to St. Fumac and ruinous by 1794) and the Duff Aisle attached to the N gable. Apart fromt he central focus point of the earlier church remains and the Duff Aisle, this graveyard has an undisturbed air to it, and feeling of uniformity about the height, bulk and orientation of the older upright stones. Most of those in the main body of the graveyard (75%) are modest, without significant ostentation and the most obvious distinctions arise from differences in the stone itself, or from small differences in shaping of the topes of the stones. It has always been the burial ground for a small rural parish with low population, comprising in earlier days almost entirely small farmers, crofters and associated. There is a straight row of modern upright stones facing the present church, to the N with some attractive freestanding celtic style crosses at the W end each with different interwoven design inscribed. There are 10 to 15 recumbent stones. There are one or two upright stones, or up-righted 'flats' around the SW boundary and 8 along the E boundary wall: all different and interesting.

Data Sources: Graveyard Recording Form, 10 March 2003; OS MasterMap checked 13 June 2005; Bereavement Services Portal checked 15 June 2005

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions