Invermay, Cross

Cross

Site Name Invermay, Cross

Classification Cross

Canmore ID 26605

Site Number NO01NE 8

NGR NO 0598 1664

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Forteviot
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO01NE 8 0598 1664

See also NO01NE 10.00.

(NO 0598 1664) Standing Stone, on Site of Sculptured Stone (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Stone on remains of [NAT] Cross [NR]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1987.

A large stone 9 feet high standing inside the wall of Invermay demesne, erected c 1840 (ONB 1860) to replace one broken not long before 1770. Fragments in the churchyard at Forteviot (NO01NE 10) are probably part of it. The original pedestal which is between 2 and 3 feet square still stands and supports the modern stone.

In 1796 the old cross lay "broken over at the pedestal on which are many emblematical figures" (Statistical Account {OSA} 1796).

In 1891, three fragments of the destroyed cross were lying in the firwood, 1/4 mile north of the cross site (Long Plantation) (Allen and Anderson 1903).

OSA 1796; Name Book 1860; J Stuart 1856; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

There is nothing known locally of a connection between the stones at Forteviot Church (NO01NE 10.00) and this site. No trace could be found of the fragments in Long Plantation.

Visited by OS (J T T) 5 November 1965.

The three fragments of the destroyed cross are now in the porch of the church at Forteviot.

Information contained in letter from J Close-Brooks, National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) to OS, 20 April 1978.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions