Cross Slab (pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (pictish)
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Logierait
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
(Name: NN 946 565) Clach an t-Sagart (NR)
OS 6"map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1902)
Dunfallandy Stone or "Clach an t-Sagart" an 8th century Pictish cross-slab (S Piggott and W D Simpson 1970) of old red sandstone, 5' high by 2'1" wide and 5" thick. It is sculptured in relief, one side ornamented with a decorated cross and nine side panels containing a figure of Jonah, beasts and angels. The motifs on the other side include two Crescent and V-rod symbols, two "elephant" symbols, two saintly seated figures said to represent SS Paul and Anthony, a warrior on horseback, an anvil, a hammer and a pair of tongs, all contained within a border composed of two elongated fish-tailed beasts.
When described in 1856, it stood in the ruins of an old chapel a mile SW of Killiecrankie railway station (see ), and it has since been moved to its present position, behind Dunfallandy House.
A cast of the stone was purchased for the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1882. (Accession no: IB 53)
R W Feachem 1963; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; J Stuart 1856; S Piggott and W D Simpson 1970; NMAS 1892.
NN 9462 5653. A fine example of a Class II Pictish cross slab, measuring 1.5m high by 0.6m by 0.1m. It is known as the "Dunfallandy Stone"
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J B) 6 Feburary 1975; H Mitchell 1923; Information from DoE plaque.
In a letter to Mrs D N Bailey, R B K Stevenson points out that Romilly Allen misinterpreted Stuart in assuming that the Dunfallandy Stone had been moved, confusing the sites of two chapels at each end of the Pass of Killiecrankie. The New Statistical Account (NSA) and OS 6"map of 1863 tend to confirm that the stone had always stood near the site of the chapel at Dunfallandy.
Dixon corrected Allen as far back as 1925.
NSA (S Cameron, written 1842) 1845; J Dixon 1925; J B T Christie 1970; Information contained in letter from R B K Stevenson to Mrs D N Bailey, 29 July 1984 (in NMAS).
Class II symbol stone. On the face are beasts and angels beside the cross.On the reverse are two seated figures, SS Anthony and Paul, above which are an elephant and a double-disc over a crescent and V-rod.Below is a mounted figure,with a crescent and V-rod and an elephant in front and a hammer,anvil and pincers underneath.
A Mack 1997