Monzievaird, Old Parish Church And Ochtertyre Mausoleum

Church (19th Century), Mausoleum (19th Century)

Site Name Monzievaird, Old Parish Church And Ochtertyre Mausoleum

Classification Church (19th Century), Mausoleum (19th Century)

Canmore ID 25445

Site Number NN82SE 24

NGR NN 85035 23453

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Monzievaird And Strowan
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN82SE 24.00 85035 23453 Mausoleum

NN82SE 24.01 85052 23447 Burial-Ground

(NN 8503 2345) Mausoleum On Site of Church of Monzievaird (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

Built in 1809 on the site of the old parish church of Monzievaird and used as a place of burial for the Ochtertyre family.

Name Book 1863

In 1511 a partly of Murrays were killed when the church, in which they had taken refuge, was burned by the Drummonds.

NSA 1845

No trace of former parish church exists at the 19th century mausoleum.

Visited by OS (RD) 12 December 1966.

The mausoleum is still roofed. No trace of the church could be found.

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 25 September 1996

Architecture Notes


Old church of Monzievaird demolished to make site for Mausoleum & some carved tomb stones from do. now built in to Mausoleum. There are prints and 190?4 Negs for these in NLS Mss 6026/3.

The architect was Charles Heathcote Tatham (HMC from RA lists).

See also: NN82SW 38.00 Ochtertyre House

38.01 Ochtertyre House, Stables

38.02 Ochtertyre House, Middlethird Lodge

38.03 Ochtertyre House, Icehouse

38.04 Ochtertyre House, Garden Cottage

28 Ochtertyre House, Walled Garden

27 Ochtertyre House, Midlodge

NN82SE 128 Ochtertyre House, Granite Lodge

Site Management (7 February 1997)

Small 3 bay Neo-Perpendicular chapel, ashlar built with an arcaded interior of recesses. The mausoleum is based on Bath Abbey and was built on the site of the old church of Monzievaird to act as the burial vault of the Ochtertyre family. (Historic Scotland)

Miniature perpendicular chapel, exquisitely detailed, employed arcaded recesses instead of aisles, little clerestorey and richly coloured stained glass. Built for Sir Patrick Murray on ancient site of Monzievaird Parish Church to house family remains. (Haynes, 2000)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions