Monkland Canal, Castle Street Bridge, Glasgow
- Council Glasgow, City Of
- Parish Glasgow (city Of Glasgow)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District City Of Glasgow
- Former County Lanarkshire
NS66NW 144.12 6026 6619.
This bridge saw the termination of the Monkland Canal, the section of waterway between this point and port Dundas being neither Forth and Canal nor Monkland and being known as the 'Cut of Junction' (Lin 24.5).
Due to the fact that the motorway followed a gentler curve than the canal, this bridge remains as the sole surviving feature of the canal in the city. Although little used as a pedestrian underpass, it has great value as an ancient monument as it retains cast iron rubbing strakes which still display the grooves cut by wet ropes.
G Hutton 1993.
This bridge, carrying Castle Street over the canal, is clearly shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1865, sheet vi) and on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1896, sheet viNE).
Information from RCAHMS (MD) 14 February 2002.