Aberdeen, Trinitarian Monastery

Monastery

Site Name Aberdeen, Trinitarian Monastery

Classification Monastery

Alternative Name(s) Trinity Friars' Monastery

Canmore ID 20163

Site Number NJ90NW 41

NGR NJ 9427 0607

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

9427 0607

(NJ 9427 0607) Trinity Friars' Monastery (NR) (Site of)

OS 25" map, (1955).

The site of a house of Trinitarian friars, the alleged foundation date of which varies from 1181 to 1214, but which was certainly in existence by 1274. William the Lion is said to have bestowed his palace ( ) on the friars in 1211. Trinity Church is probably on the site of the monastic church to the west of which was a large walled garden. The monastery was sacked by Reformers in 1560 but the buildings were saved, the church continuing in use until its demolition in 1794. The rest of the property was acquired in 1633 by the Incorporated Trades who built Trinity Hall on the site. Nothing now remains of the monastic buildings and the area is built upon.

Name Book 1866; J Milne 1911; D E Easson 1957; HBD List nd.

(Name cited as Trinity Friars' Monastery).

NMRS, MS/712/83.

The site of this monastery lies in a redeveloped part of the city.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, ATW), 26 February 1997.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions