Castle, Motte (possible)
- Council Aberdeen, City Of
- Parish Aberdeen
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District City Of Aberdeen
- Former County Aberdeenshire
NJ90NW 22 9460 0640
See also NJ90NW 786.
(NJ 9560 0640) Infantry Barracks on site of Castle (NR)
OS 1:500 Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1901).
The barracks stand on Castle Hill occupying the area within the ramparts of the Castle of Aberdeen which is first mentioned in 1264, was surrendered to Edward 1 after 1285 and was retaken by Bruce in 1308. Many years later it was razed by the townspeople and St Ninian's Chapel (NJ90NW 38) was built on its site c.1500.
Name Book 1866; G M Fraser 1905.
The site of the castle, on a high eminence over-looking the city, is now occupied by flats.
Visited by OS (JLD) 20 August 1952.
Suggested as motte.
P A Yeoman 1988.
(Additional references cited).
Air photograph, Cromwell's bastion and site of the castle: AAS/00/08/CT.
Nothing is visible of either the motte or the later castle of Aberdeen, which lie in a built-up part of the city.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, ATW), 26 February 1997.
Aberdeen, Castle Hill, Castlehill Barracks.
Probably 18th Century, 1794-6.
Plans: See G.M.Fraser's "Historical Aberdeen" pp.74-75
" " " Archibald Simpson, architect and his times. 1908.