Lickleyhead Castle

Lairds House

Site Name Lickleyhead Castle

Classification Lairds House

Alternative Name(s) Licklihead; Licklyhead Castle

Canmore ID 18204

Site Number NJ62SW 22

NGR NJ 62724 23663

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Premnay
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Lickleyhead, late 16th century (conventionally 1629). For William Forbes of Leslie, the seat of the lairds of Premnay. A tall link-plan; in form really 16th century in date, dominated by distinctive, two-storey turrets with occuli, very like Craigievar, another Forbes seat. It does not, quite, possess the 'esprit' of Craigievar, being altogether more firmly rooted to the Aberdeenshire soil, but there are several pretty features like the turrets and the small, pedimented dormers (? influenced Mackintosh). A roomy, two-storeyed, L-plan wing was added to the east in the 18th century; restored c.1876.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

62724 23663

(NJ 6272 2365) Licklyhead Castle (NR) (AD 1629)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Lickleyhead Castle. Originally an L-plan building generally accepted as having been built in 1629, which date is engraved over the entrance, but there are suggestions, supported by architectural renovation, that it may be 16th century. It has been modernised and added to but the original design can still be discerned. The property belonged to the Leiths but passed to the Forbeses in 1625, one of whom is supposed to have built the castle. The roughcast walls rise to three storeys, an attic and a garret, the gables are crow stepped and the dormer windows have decorative pediments.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; C Hussey 1937; N Tranter 1962-70.

'Lickleyhead Castle' (information from Mrs M Stainton, Lickleyhead Castle) as described. Still in use and in good condition.

Visited by OS (ISS) 7 August 1973.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (JM) 17 August 1976.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Madam de Meir

Architect: 1629. Additions 1710.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Old plans in possession, May 1942, of A.G.R Mackenzie, Aberdeen.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions