Skye, Kilmuir Church, Graveyard

Burial Ground

Site Name Skye, Kilmuir Church, Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground

Canmore ID 173032

Site Number NG37SE 19

NGR NG 39917 71859

NGR Description Centred NG 39917 71859

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmuir
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Kilmuir Graveyard on site of 16th century parish church, enclosed by rubble wall of 1832 . Memorial to Flora Macdonald, Alexander Ross, 1880, replacing gale-ravaged original of 1871. A dignified Celtic cross of granite, rising some 28 ft above her tomb; inscribed marble plaque added 1922 . Maclean Burial Enclosure, with lintel inscribed 1793 on weathered moulded doorpiece. Upper Duntuilm (the former Kilmuir Manse, also known as the Lodge of Osmigarry), 1776/8; substantial additions by James Gillespie Graham, 1803. From 1931 the home of author and naturalist Seton Gordon (1886-1977), who added an extension.

[A gaunt gable end with a few pointed lancets above Camus Mor is all that survives of James Gillespie Graham's former Kilmuir Church of 1810-11, built by Lord Macdonald to replace one that lasted only from 1802 until 1807 ('last week a strong blast of wind demolished that silly fabric built here a few years ago for a parish church').]

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes

NG37SE 19.00 39917 71859

NG37SE 19.01 NG 3989 7189 Flora MacDonald Monument


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions