Glasgow, Bridgeton Cross, Shelter

Clock Tower, Shelter

Site Name Glasgow, Bridgeton Cross, Shelter

Classification Clock Tower, Shelter

Canmore ID 172742

Site Number NS66SW 611

NGR NS 60709 63998

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
┬ę Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (city Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

] Shelter, Bridgeton Cross, 1874, George Smith & Co., Sun Foundry

Octagonal cast-iron shelter, on cast-iron columns, gifted by the Foundry and known as the `Umbrella┬┐. Red shingle roof, square clocktower, weathervane. The Cross was a redevelopment formed by the City Improvement Trust in the 1870s.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

For Sun Foundry see also NS56NE 2450

Ornamental pavilion and clock tower, designed and erected by George Smith & Co., Sun Foundry, 280 Kennedy Street, Glasgow.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions