Aberdeen, Fonthill Road, Fonthill Barracks
Barracks (first World War), Barracks (second World War), Barracks (20th Century), Poor House (19-20th Century)
Site Name Aberdeen, Fonthill Road, Fonthill Barracks
Alternative Name(s) Albany Road; Hardgate
Canmore ID 149031
Site Number NJ90NW 956
NGR NJ 9339 0521
NGR Description Centred NJ 9339 0521
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Aberdeen, City Of
- Parish Aberdeen
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District City Of Aberdeen
- Former County Aberdeenshire
Fonthill Barracks was built as the Aberdeen West Poorhouse in 1853, by the architect William Henderson. Following the opening of the Oldmill Poorhouse in 1908 the building was acquired by the Territorial Force Association and converted in barracks. Various units were base there during both wars, and the barracks also acted as drill hall; Osborne records it in 1914 as being the base for No. 1 Company, North Scottish Royal Garrison Artillery - Defended Ports, and for 3 Company Highland Division Transport and Supply Column, Army Service Corps. It was also the HQ and base for "A" to "C" Companies, 1 & 2 Highland Division Field Ambulances, RAMC.
The complex is marked as West Poorhouse on the 2nd epoch OS map, and appears, unlabelled, on the 3rd epoch map.
The complex was demolished at some point after the Second World War.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.