- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Peebles
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Tweeddale
- Former County Peebles-shire
NT24SW 109 20946 40006
For Lyne Station (to SW), see
Not to be confused with nearby Neidpath Viaduct (NT 23283 40195), for which see
(Location cited as NT 209 400). Viaduct, opened 1864 by the Symington, Biggar & Broughton Railway. 3-arch masonry skew viaduct with a plate-girder approach span over a minor road. It has elliptical arches and slender piers with rounded cutwaters from which pilasters extended to parapet level.
J R Hume 1976.
This structure still stands, and has sandstone abutments and three piers. It crosses 24ft [7.3m] over, first, a minor road, on a steel girderplate span of 20ft [6.1m], and then the Lyne Water, on three stone skew arches of 25ft [7.6m] span. The total length of the structure is133ft [40.5m], and the parapet was capped by cast-iron railings.
P Marshall 2005.
This viaduct formerly carried the Symington-Peebles branch line of the Caledonian Rly over the Lyne Water, immediately above (to the N of) its entry into the River Tweed. This line closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 June 1950.
The Lyne Water here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lyne (to the N) and Stobo (to the S), and the minor road that is mentioned by Marshall is to the W of the Lyne Water.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 January 2006.
G Daniels and L Dench 1980.