Duff House, Fishing Temple

Fishing Bothy (18th Century)

Site Name Duff House, Fishing Temple

Classification Fishing Bothy (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Duff House Estate; Duff House Policies; River Deveron

Canmore ID 132282

Site Number NJ66SE 8.1

NGR NJ 69065 62848

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Banff
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

NJ66SE 8.01 69065 62848

ARCHITECT:

William Adam c.1743

Was situated on an island in the River Deveron.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (28 October 2010)

2-stage, round fishing temple, on island in River Deveron to E of Duff House, currently roofless and overgrown (1990). Polished ashlar with raised and moulded architraves, lugged door surrounds, base course, band course, moulded cornice. Horseshoe stair with moulded treads and simple wrought-iron balustrade, to doorway of principal upper stage, in advanced pedimented bay; doorway below at ground under steps. Further advanced pedimented bay opposite blank. 4 tall windows to principal stage, smaller windows below. 2 basket-arched fireplaces inside, that to upper stage with finely roll-moulded arrises. Moulded, corniced ashlar stack, with clasping vase-shaped flues.

The Fishing Temple, domed and surmounted by a gilded figure of Fame, is illustrated in the above portrait of Lady Braco by Mosman. William Adam's Accounts to Lord Braco (in evidence for the Braco case) refer to plans for this Temple, built on an island in the River Deveron, as well as the Temple on Doun Hill (listed separately in Macduff Burgh), and designs for a Mausoleum (which was not built, but may be the structure illustrated in a portrait of William Duff, Lord Braco by William Mosman in 1741; see Holloway). Tait has sited this temple incorrectly on the Hill of Bauchlaw to the SW of Duff House, and suggests that it was designed by William Bowie; the above evidence suggests otherwise. The plans quoted, thought to be by Bowie, SRO RHP31, 394, are therefore probably not for the Duff House Estate, as catalogued. (Historic Scotland)

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions