Linlithgow, Edinburgh Road, St Magdalene's Distillery, Malting Barn And Double Kiln

Distillery, Kiln, Maltings

Site Name Linlithgow, Edinburgh Road, St Magdalene's Distillery, Malting Barn And Double Kiln

Classification Distillery, Kiln, Maltings

Canmore ID 106174

Site Number NT07NW 95

NGR NT 00724 77092

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

St Magdalene's Distillery, Edinburgh Road, c.1880

Taking its name from the vanished Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, the distillery consisted of two huge, stone malting-barns (one four-storey, one enclosing a courtyard) and three square kilns capped with pagoda ventilators. Eastern range refurbished with adjacent neo-Mackintosh terraced housing, 1990, by Cooper Design Associates and monumental western structure, 2002, by R & G Homes.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Recording Your Heritage Online

St Magdalene's Distillery, Edinburgh Road, c.1880

Taking its name from the vanished Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, the distillery consisted of two huge, stone malting-barns (one four-storey, one enclosing a courtyard) and three square kilns capped with pagoda ventilators. Eastern range refurbished with adjacent neo-Mackintosh terraced housing, 1990, by Cooper Design Associates and monumental western structure, 2002, by R & G Homes.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 95 00800 77080

See also NT07NW 16.

St Magdalene's Distillery: An extensive distillery at the E side of the town of Linlithgow, licensed to distill from malt only. It consists of the usual works: maltings, kilns, still house, warehouses etc. (1st edition of the OS 6-inch map, Linlithgow sheet 3, 1857 names the individual buildings in the distillery.) It was erected in 1824, and is capable of manufacturing, on average, 4,000 gallons of whisky weekly and gives emplyment to about 30 persons. It is the property of, and occupied by, Messrs Adam and John Dawson.

Name Book 1856

Former 18th century, St Magdalene's Distillery, now partially converted into flats.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) August 1996.

On the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1897, sheet 5NE) there is a landing place marked close to the Distillery, which was presumably used by the Distillery.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 5 April 2001.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions