Loch Of Brindister
- Council Shetland Islands
- Parish Lerwick
- Former Region Shetland Islands Area
- Former District Shetland
- Former County Shetland
HU43NW 9 4326 3701.
(HU 4352 3703) Brough (OE)
OS 6" map Shetland, 2nd ed (1903)
A confused mass of ruins occupies the whole of an island. Partial excavation by Goudie in 1888,(G Goudie 1889), revealed a structure 50ft N to S by 51ft E to W overall, with a wall about 8ft thick and 5ft high,and probably not more than 12ft high at any time. Despite the relative thinness of the wall and the apparent absence of any mural chambers, etc., both the RCAHM (who did not visit the site) and Goudie regarded it as a broch. On the north side is an entrance 3' 9" to 4' wide, but there is no sign of a causeway connecting the island with the shore.
Not a broch, but the massive dry-stone wall of a dun occupying the whole of an islet in the Loch of Brindister. The crudely-built wall is best seen at the NNE entrance, excavated by Goudie, where it is at its widest, 2.5m thick and 0.9m high. It narrows rapidly away from the entrance and where the inner wall face can be distinguished on the SW side, it is only 1.5m thick. Elsewhere only the outer wall face is occasionally visible through the tumble. There are no cells or passages within the walls, and no internal structures are apparent. Soundings around the islet failed to reveal a causeway.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (NKB) 21 June 1968.